Julian Crane is a general physician by training and currently Deputy Head of the Department of Medicine. He is Co-Director of He Kāinga Oranga/Housing and Health Research Programme.
His research interests include epidemiological studies of asthma and allergic disease including an ongoing birth cohort of children followed to investigate the early life environmental factors that lead to asthma and allergic disease. Julian is also an member of the steering group for a large international study of asthma in children, the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood (ISAAC). He is also interested in all aspects of the domestic environment that impact on respiratory disease, including exposure to allergens and mould. Julian is a member of the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand and the European Respiratory Society.
- Barthow, C. Hood, F. McKinlay, E. Hilder, J. Cleghorn, C. Huthwaite, M. Weatherall, M. Parry-Strong, A. Pullon, S. Gray, B. Wickens, K. Krebs, J.Food 4 Health - He Oranga Kai: Assessing the efficacy, acceptability and economic implications of Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 and β-glucan to improve glycated haemoglobin, metabolic health, and general well-being in adults with pre-diabetes: study protoTrials29;20(1):464, doi: 10.1186/s13063-019-3553-7
- Slykerman, R.F. Coomarasamy, C. Wickens, K. Thompson, J.M.D. Stanley, T.V. Barthow, C. Kang, J. Mitchell, E.A.Exposure to antibiotics in the first 24 months of life and neurocognitive outcomes at 11 years of age.Psychopharmacology(Berl). 2019; 36(5):1573-8
- Murphy, R. Morgan, X.C. Wang, X.Y. Wickens, K. Purdie, G. Fitzharris, P. Otal, A. Lawley, B. Stanley, T. Barthow, C. Mitchell, E.A. Tannock, G.W.Eczema-protective probiotic alters infant gut microbiome functional capacity but not composition: analysis from a RCT.Benef Microbes21;10(1):5-17
- Wickens, K. Barthow, C. Mitchell, E.A. Kang, J. van Zyl, N. Purdie, G. Stanley, T. Fitzharris, P. Murphy, R.Effects of Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 in early life on the cumulative prevalence of allergic disease to 11 years.Pediatr Allergy Immunol.29(8):808-14
- Preval, N. Amore, K. Rivera-Muñoz, G. Oliver, J.Housing, energy and health in resilient cities.In P. Howden-Chapman, L. Early & J. Ombler (Eds.), Cities in New Zealand: Preferences, patterns and possibilities.(pp. 95-106). Wellington, New Zealand: Steele Roberts Aotearoa.