Arthur is an economist, he is a Senior Fellow at Motu Research, Professor in the Chair of Wellbeing and Public Policy at Victoria University of Wellington’s School of Government, and Chair of the Hugo Group. From 2003-2013 he was chair of the Reserve Bank of New Zealand Chair and a Board Member of the Financial Markets Authority from 2011-2017.
Arthur specialises in two principal fields of research: (i) wellbeing economics, and (ii) urban economics. The intersection of the two – e.g. wellbeing effects of housing conditions, and the importance of amenities and infrastructure for quality of life in cities – is of particular interest. He has also undertaken research on productivity, economic reform and macroeconomics leveraging his prior policy experience at the Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Cities with Forking Paths? Agglomeration Economies in New Zealand 1976-2018
- Lockdowns need not reduce wellbeing
- Hometown & whānau, or big city & millennials? The economic geography of graduate destination choices in New Zealand
- Government has caused housing crisis to become a catastrophe
- Conversations on Rethinking Human Development
- Cunningham, C Amore, K Boulic, M Halley, C Nathan, K Phipps, R Ruru, J Shaw, Caroline Toy-Cronin, B Tupara, H Wilkie, M Zhang, WHe Kāinga Oranga: reflections on 25 years of measuring the improved health, wellbeing and sustainability of healthier housing.Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand,Online.
- Fleming, D. Lebreton, L. Maré, D. Nunns, P.Valuing SunshineRegional Science and Urban Economics68, 268-276
- Preval, N.Impact of improved insulation and heating on mortality risk of older cohort members with prior cardiovascular or respiratory hospitalisations.BMJ Open7(11).
- Fabling, R.Picking up speed: Does ultrafast broadband increase firm productivity?Motu Working Paper 16-22Motu Economic and Public Policy Research
Does adoption of ultrafast broadband result in productivity gains for New Zealand businesses? Are gains any higher when firms make complementary organisational investments?
- Preval, N. Young, C. Arnold, R. Denne, T.Does retrofitted insulation reduce household energy use? Theory and Practice.The Energy Journal37(4). DOI: 10.5547/01956574.37.4.agri
- Bergstrom, K. Stillman, S.Does Selling State Silver Generate Private Gold? Neighbourhood Impacts of State House Sales.Urban Studies51(6), 1257-1273
- Young, C.Spatial Effects of Urban Rail Upgrades.Journal of Transport Geography30, 1-6